OVERVIEW OF NEW REQUIREMENTS
While updating the existing ACA program, the following new requirements were added to the PigCARE program.
Complete details can be found in the corresponding sections of the Producer Manual, in the SOP templates, Record templates, Fact sheets and one-pagers.
- ANIMAL BASED MEASURES
- Pigs will be assessed for body condition, injuries and severe lameness
- SIZE OF FARROWING CRATES/GESTATION STALLS/BOAR STALLS
- Farrowing crates, individual sow stalls and individual boar stalls must be sized according to Pig Code of Practice requirements
- SPACE ALLOWANCE NURSERY – GROW FINISH
- Nursery and grow/finish pigs must be provided with sufficient space according to the Code of Practice requirements
- A space allowance record must be completed for all nursery pens and grow/finish pens
- GROUP SOW HOUSING CONVERSION
- Newly built or rebuilt facilities for bred gilts and sows must meet the Group Sow Housing Certification requirements
- Boars must be provided with sufficient space so that they can turn around
- Adequate lighting must be provided at all stages of production
- Two or more enrichment options must be provided to pigs at all stages of production
- FARROWING ROOM / NEWLY WEANED PIGLETS + ELECTIVE HUSBANDRY PROCEDURES + TRANSPORTATION
- Producers must develop and follow standard operating procedures. Templates are provided.